If you’re a business owner, or if you’re responsible for helping to grow the company that you work for, here’s some advice for you:
· You should Tweet at least five times per day and write five Facebook posts per day.
· If you want to land your ideal clients, have cardboard figures of them printed so you can arrange them around your conference table and practice pitching to them.
· You can create a successful business in only four hours of work per week.
· For your company’s next tradeshow appearance, have your team dress up as Star Trek characters.
Each of these pieces of advice comes from published, well-respected businesspeople who are 100% serious about what they’re saying.
Some of them are mega-successful personalities who are trying to get you caught up in the idea that their top-secret or super-sexy formula for achieving success is just a few of your dollars away. If you buy their books, follow their social media, and go to their seminars, one day you’ll own a Ferrari or a Gulf Stream or become an Internet superstar, just like them. There is a seemingly endless parade of slick and sexy people with slick and sexy ideas about how to make you rich, and they’re selling boatloads of books and information products these days.
We’re not going to be a part of that madness. Our company, Sales Engineering System, is on a mission: We are going to bring substance back into business information, training, and education.
So how does this help you?
If you’re a small business owner or manager, or perhaps an entrepreneur with hopes of launching a successful business, what you need is real input on specific things you can do to get your business to the next level. Success training is great—as long as you have the fundamentals of your business down pat. You don’t need sexy; you need usable information that is going to positively impact your bottom line.
On the other hand, if you’re an executive who’s already made your business bones, you can probably see right through the superficiality of slick and sexy. You got to where you are on more than gimmicks and tricks, and you can see the potential that your organization has to grow—if the right people are willing and able to do the right things to make it happen. You’re also smart enough to know that you don’t know it all, and that good information is invaluable wherever you can get it. The trick is to separate the proverbial wheat from the chaff and only tune into what’s real and useful.
At this point, you’re probably wondering about the title of this, our first blog post, and what we mean by “bringing unsexy back.” To explain, every Sales Engineering System consulting engagement begins with a methodical breakdown of the client’s business using our proprietary system (see the diagram below). We calibrate the business operations, identify the problems, analyze the causes, and dial in a solution (the “engineering” in Sales Engineering System). We then present our findings and recommendations to the client.
We did this awhile back with a new client (still a client to this day) who had a particularly wicked sense of humor. At the end of our presentation, she made a funny observation that the Sales Engineering System is the antithesis of the Justin Timberlake song “SexyBack.” Since at least one of us had no clue what that song is about, she explained that it’s Timberlake’s declaration of how sexy he is and that he’s bringing sexy back to all the clueless people around him.
The client went on to observe that the Sales Engineering System—with its systematic process and the related focus on basics and solid, foundational principles—is unlike many of the sales and marketing solutions that seem to be popular today. It is an almost nerdy way of methodically analyzing every element of a business to pinpoint specific problems and then implement successful solutions. The client’s point was that we are doing the opposite of Timberlake—Sales Engineering System is bringing unsexy back to sales and marketing. After we all had a good laugh, we realized how accurately it described our mission.
We are in fact different. We’re not here to present you with a personality that you aspire to be like so you will buy our products. We are, however, going to bring you an organized, integrated system that is grounded in timeless business principles. Our system will help you understand everything you need to know in order to market and sell your product or service effectively.
We think that there needs to be a swing back in the direction of substance in business information, training, and education, and we intend to lead that movement. In this age of information overload, there’s too much information out there, and not enough time to wade through it. You need a way to master principles and basics so that you can find more of the answers you need by looking to yourself and your own experiences in business.
Whether you are an entrepreneur, business owner, or employee who contributes in any way to growing your company, we invite you to explore how our system can teach you to make more money.
Sexy or not (you can make that call), here are the vital things you are going to learn if you take some time to find out what we’re all about:
· Sales Engineering System is going to help you to understand and master the basics of marketing and selling.
· We’re going to teach you how to grow your business. We’re going to do this by showing you how every business-growth problem or challenge—whether you’re running a business from your bedroom or a boardroom—maps back to an element of our system.
· We’re going to help you find your weak spots and then show you how to fortify them. We’re going to show you how to make your sales and marketing efforts rock-solid, a foundation that will serve as a stable platform for growth.
· We’ll show you how to be both strategic and tactical. For example, we won’t tell you how many times per day to Tweet, but we will help you to understand which messages you should be Tweeting to effectively represent your brand.
· More importantly, we don’t just tell you what to do, we tell you how to do it. (This is in direct opposition to much of what you will find online or in books.)
· We’re going to help you think outside the box by first giving you a firm footing inside the box.
Admittedly, all that doesn’t sound as sexy as helping you get more Instagram followers or revealing the secrets of Facebook marketing. But it is going to get you a lot further if your objective is to make more money.
And guess what? Once you have the foundation for success in place—based on the timeless principles that drive every business—you can use Instagram and Facebook and any other tool that comes along much more effectively.
Just to be clear, here’s the sort of stuff that you won’t find on our sites:
· We won’t endlessly Retweet and repost other people’s content. We’ll only link to information that we think will legitimately help you to grow your business. We are not interested in aligning ourselves with the coolest, hippest, trendiest marketers unless their content rocks by delivering massive value.
· You will never find images of the Sales Engineering System team on social media looking slick in fancy clothes, driving hot cars, or coming to you from exotic locales. There’s no need to do that when your product conveys real value.
· You won’t find ads on our sites, and we won’t team up with cool companies just to make a little extra cash. We will only recommend things that we believe will help you in your quest for world domination. And we won’t take a penny in return for our recommendations.
You won’t need killer heels or your best suit for the work we’re going to do together. You will, however, need to take off the rose-colored glasses, because if there’s one thing the Sales Engineering System is going to help you do, it’s to take an honest look at where you are and what you need to do in order to improve. It will require commitment and a willingness to break out of your comfort zone, but at the end of it all, your bottom line will be bigger.
How sexy is that?